CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

To Tell A Lie

Our sweet Makayla....she told her first lie last night (sigh...)

Guess it is bound to happen, but we just didn't think it would come so soon.

After putting Makayla to bed for the second or third time, she asked me for the books "behind" her curtain. I looked at her not sure if I heard her correctly, upon moving the curtain back I discovered her box of princess books.

Not sure what to do, I asked....who put that there?

"Daddy did, daddy got the books for me."

Ok Makayla, you can read those books, but no more after that. I love you, good night and STAY in bed.

I left her room and went downstairs where I asked Jamen about the books. Nope, Jamen did not put the books there and did not say she could read them....

Her first lie.

My heart felt sad that my little three and a half year old is capable of this. I know that we all have a sinful nature, I just didn't think we would have to start dealing with this at such an early age.

Jamen went in and talked with her last night and I followed up with a talk this morning. Makayla asked why lying was not OK, and I told her that God does not like us to lie and that she needed to tell mommy and daddy the truth and to not hide things from us. She was quiet, reflecting on my words when she said, "I make yours and daddy's and God's heart sad when I lie (good job Makayla, your getting it!), I won't do it anymore."

This has been a reminder to me about how much our family lives have been impacted by the spirit of lying. I think I will begin praying words of truth over my daughter so that she will not have to live out our generational sin of lying.

0 comments: